Protect Your Home from Winter Floods
During the 2015/16 winter, almost 17,000 homes and businesses flooded, and December 2015 was the wettest month in England on record, according to the Met Office. The average cost of a domestic flood is £50,000, further illustrating the importance of preparing your home for the threat of winter floods.
To avoid falling victim to devastating floods and being slapped with a huge clean-up bill, follow these five tips for protecting your home:
- Create a personal flood plan.
- Check the roof for loose or cracked tiles.
- Check drain pipes and gutters to ensure that they are free of debris.
- Make sure that your damp proofing is not bridged with soil or debris, which could make it ineffective.
- Ensure that your pipes are properly insulated since cold weather could cause them to freeze and burst.
Whilst flood-proofing your home, take a look at the rest of your house to make sure that it is ready for winter.
- If you have a chimney, have it inspected and cleaned in order to prevent chimney fires.
- Get your boiler checked by a qualified engineer, and consider taking out boiler cover if you don’t already have it.
Whilst flood-proofing and winterising your home can prevent extensive damage, Saffron Insurance Services can ensure that your home is adequately covered for unavoidable winter-related damage.